An important part of Self Care is finding time to Relax, whatever that means to you. However, in the busyness of the world today, making time for Self Care and Relaxation can seem impossible. These 3 steps are quick and easy and can even be completed on the GO! Sometimes I even like to schedule “Me Time” in my calendar to ensure I prioritize taking care of myself inside and out. As we all know (but often forget) we are never as effective at work, school or home if we are not at our best mentally and emotionally. These 3 easy steps to relaxation are great exercises for your Mind, Body and Soul.
STEP 1: RELAX YOUR MIND
As you move through each step draw an imaginary line in the air in front of you with your finger, making a Square.
- BREATH IN slowly for 4 seconds
- Hold for 4 seconds
- BREATH OUT slowly for 4 seconds
- Repeat four times
STEP 2: RELAX YOUR BODY
My Calm Place
- Close your eyes and Think of your favorite “Calm Place”. This might be your favorite relaxation destination, your fondest memory as a child or a made up perfect place of your choice. Examples may include a private island in the sun, your bed, your backyard, a beach, the café downtown or the quiet little bookshop around the corner. It’s up to you to decide your “ Calm Place”.
- Now that you have chosen your “Calm Place”, think of every single detail about your Calm Place in your mind. With your eyes still closed, imagine the vivid scenery, smell the distinct scents in air, hear the varying sounds in the distance as you touch and feel the multiple textures of the space around you. Awaken all of your senses as you imagine being in the core of your “Calm Place”.
- Open your eyes and reflect on your feelings in the Calm Place and bring them from your Imagination into your Reality. Allow yourself to feel the pieces of Calm in your moments of Now. Carry the thoughts, feelings and pieces of Calm with you throughout your day. Bring forward your Calm Place flash backs as needed throughout the day. Become at peace through the warmth of your “Calm Place”.
STEP 3: RELAX YOUR SOUL
“If you can change your mind, you can change your life”. The next time you find yourself feeling like everything is going wrong, ask yourself these questions:
- When was the last time you laughed out loud and why?
- Who are two important people in your life?
- What are two things you are grateful for?
- What are two things you are good at?
- What are two fundamental values in your life?
- What are two of your dreams for yourself?
- What are two things that are not going wrong?
- Develop two new questions to answer the next time you complete the exercise or to share with a friend.